Path Home Shows 2011 Show Archive September 2011 Show 1136 Metro Tech Career Academy

Metro Tech Career Academy

We visit an innovative school that is helping young people who have dropped out of school obtain their high school diploma.
Metro Tech Career Academy

Tania Bus Tillos, student

For more information visit these links:

Metro Career Academy

Show Dates

Show 1136: Metro Tech Career Academy

Air date: September 4, 2011

 

Transcript

ROB MCCLENDON:  WELL, OKLAHOMA HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION RATES REMAIN STAGNANT, WHILE NATIONAL GRADUATION RATES ARE SHOWING A SLIGHT INCREASE.  HERE AT HOME, OUR HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION RATES ARE STUCK AT JUST 70%.  VIRTUALLY UNCHANGED SINCE 2007, AND THE LOWEST MARK THIS DECADE; WHICH LEAVES NEARLY ONE OUT OF EVERY THREE OKLAHOMA YOUNG ADULTS IN OKLAHOMA, VASTLY UNPREPARED TO COMPETE IN TODAY’S ECONOMY.  BUT, AN INNOVATIVE SCHOOL IS HELPING THESE YOUNG PEOPLE COMPLETE THEIR REQUIREMENTS FOR A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA, AND A CHANCE FOR A BETTER LIFE.  JOINING ME IS OUR COURTENAY DEHOFF.

COURTENAY DEHOFF:  WELL ROB, OUT OF EVERY 100 NINTH-GRADERS, ONLY 73% WILL GRADUATE HIGH SCHOOL; AND IT’S THAT REMAINING 27% THAT METRO CAREER ACADEMY STRIVES TO HELP.  AS THE SAYING GOES, WHEN ONE DOOR CLOSES, ANOTHER DOOR OPENS; HERE AT METRO CAREER ACADEMY, THAT SAYING COULD NOT RING TRUER.

TANIA BUS TILLOS:  I GOT KICKED OUT OF SCHOOL MY FRESHMAN YEAR AND I COULDN’T GO BACK TO SCHOOL BECAUSE I HAD BROKE ONE OF THE POLICIES AND ME AND MY THERAPIST WERE LOOKING TO SEE WHAT SCHOOL WOULD ACCEPT ME BACK AND THIS WAS THE ONLY SCHOOL THAT WOULD ACCEPT ME BACK.

COURTENAY:  METRO TECH CAREER ACADEMY IS ALL ABOUT GIVING STUDENTS LIKE TANIA BUS TILLOS A SECOND CHANCE.

TANIA:  THIS IS THE ONLY SCHOOL THAT OPENED THE DOORS TO ME AND GAVE ME A CHANCE TO BE ABLE TO GRADUATE.  ITS SELF-PACED AND YOU ARE ABLE TO GRADUATE AS SOON AS YOU WANT.

COURTENAY:  THE SCHOOL IS SPECIALLY DESIGNED TO HELP KIDS WHO HAVE DROPPED OUT, OR ARE AT RISK OF DROPPING OUT, GRADUATE.

TANIA:  THEY CAN HELP YOU OUT WITH ANYTHING THAT YOU NEED IN COLLEGE.  YOU CAN GO TO A JOB APPLICATION CLASSES.  IT’S A BIG SCHOOL SO YOU WON’T HAVE TO BE SEEN A LOT OR ANYTHING.  THERE’S ONLY EIGHT CLASSES, BUT I MEAN, EIGHT TEACHERS AND IT’S BETTER BECAUSE THE TEACHERS GET TO KNOW YOU BETTER.

COURTENAY:  FROM ART TO AUTOMOTIVE CLASSES, CAREER ACADEMY OFFERS IT ALL; OPENING DOORS AND GETTING THESE STUDENTS ON THE PATH TO SUCCESS.  NOT ONLY DO THESE STUDENTS COMPLETE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA, IT ALSO HELPS STABILIZE THEIR LIVES.

ROB:  SO AFTER COMPLETING THEIR HIGH SCHOOL REQUIREMENTS, IS THERE ANY THOUGHT OF COLLEGE FOR THESE YOUNG PEOPLE?

COURTENAY:  DEFINITELY ROB; MOST OF THESE KIDS HAVE ALREADY STARTED THINKING ABOUT COLLEGE BEFORE THEY EVEN COMPLETE THEIR HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA.  AND, COLLEGE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN IN THEIR FUTURE IF IT WASN’T FOR THIS PROGRAM.

ROB:  WELL GREAT PROGRAM, AND A GREAT STORY; THANK YOU SO MUCH COURTENAY.

COURTENAY:  YOU’RE WELCOME ROB.